Hello from a new apartment! I’ve taken the last couple weeks off from blogging, but I am back and in new digs. I posted a “sneak peek” on Twitter/Facebook last week, and here is the beginning to my “home makeover” series. I moved into my bf’s place over the weekend, and because he is so nice, he let me basically do whatever I wanted with the place (for the most part). Here is the first glimpse at the “befores” and somewhat “afters”… more to come, as I am still putting some finishing touches on things.
Dining Room - After
Same Area - Before closet, new paint, and new furniture
We were in desperate need of more closet space, so we built this barn door closet (stained in Barn Grey from Home Depot). Gotta use the space you have, right?
Cage and chandelier turned into a caged chandelier from Arhaus.
Hanging mason jar vase as seen here.
Table linens and place settings made at Pier 1.
“Barn Dance” candle from here.
Beats by Dr. Dre Pink Pill – So loud, so small (easy to move/travel with), and connects to your phone via Bluetooth. This little pill rattles the whole (one bedroom) place; it’s awesome.
West Elm Coffee Table as seen here.
Mason Jar bought here with hydrangeas and roses.
More to come...stay tuned! XO
Like most women, I love shoes. Whether they are sexy or comfortable (rarely at the same time), expensive or cheap, they can make or break an outfit (and a mood) in an instant. As the saying goes, “You can never have enough friends, money or shoes…” (the list might be longer, I don’t recall the full quote) and I fully believe that. My girlfriend and her fabulous mother opened up a shoe haven called “Stilettos” in the northern (Chicago) burbs three years ago. They are celebrating their 3rd year anniversary this weekend and are offering up major discounts, giveaways, and, of course, some drinks and treats (details below). This also applies to their online store (which hasn’t been around three years, but for those who can’t make the trip, we get to pretend), so enjoy an online coupon code - also below. The pictures in this post all feature shoes purchased at Stilettos, so thank you to Alexandra and Christine for making my love of shoes an easy addiction to treat. Happy shopping, sole sistas.
I almost can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I do indeed have hair extensions. Maybe some of you knew, maybe some of you didn’t, but the long blonde locks used to come from clip-ins, and they now come from “halo couture,” which is by far the best extension I’ve used since I first started about 4 years ago (I know, sounds like a real problem, doesn’t it?). I was blessed with thin, fine hair that has constant split ends and lacks body, so after chopping most of it due to damage, I bit the bullet and invested in clip-ins. These worked well up until my hairdresser, Carlin, introduced me to these babies that are so much faster and healthier for your locks. Her info is below; go see her if you’re interested. Trust me, they are worth the investment. (Psst, I'm wearing them here and here).
1. Eyes – Bobbi Brown Brick. You just can’t go wrong with this thing. Use it as shadow or a highlighter. It’s the best, and it lasts not only on your face, but in your makeup bag.
2. Luscious Lashes – A few steps here, but I swear by it. Start with Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Primer, then load on Tarte Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara. Wait a minute or two to dry, and then re-curl your eyelashes. Magic.
3. Skin – Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Glow Pads (for face, neck, etc.). I put this on at night before I moisturize. Be sure to let it dry for about 15 minutes before moisturizing and applying eye cream.
4. Blush – Nars Orgasm. The best color blend for so many skin types. I love the slight shimmer as well.
5. Lips – Tom Ford Nude Vanilla Lipstick. I’m into lip liner again, so for a more dramatic lip, do Mac’s Oak liner first, then add lipstick and top with a plumper gloss, or go matte with THE most bomb nude lipstick everrrr.
6. Coconut Oil – I mentioned this above, but this stuff has become a nightly routine for me and many of my friends. It moisturizes, helps prevent wrinkles, and brightens your skin. Apply before bed (feel free to apply to hair as well).