Subscribe

Receive emails when new articles are posted to Vanilla Fringe.

enter email address
Chicago Blogger Network
JULY 27, 2012

Avocado and Corn Salsa

by Shae

I’m attending a pool party tonight with some friends and I promised a super yummy (and easy to transport) dip. This corn and avocado salsa my mom made for our last BBQ instantly came to mind. And after she sent me the recipe, I decided it will now be one I bring to the remaining parties I have this summer; simple and the perfect blend of kick and flavor. Enjoy!

Ingredients: 

• 1 can black beans (rinsed & drained)
  • I/2 package of corn (vegetables)
  • I package of Mexican corn, black beans, and diced onion and peppers (frozen) OR can of Mexican medley veggies OR chopped peppers is fine too
  • 1/2 red onion; chopped
  • 2 fresh tomatoes (cut small)
  • 3 fresh avocados (cut small)
  • 1/2 squeezed lemon
  • 3 TBS olive oil
  • 2 packages of taco seasoning
  • 1/2 cup Italian dressing

Add a few dashes of hot sauce (if desired), mix all together and serve with tortilla chips or Fritos, and a cold Corona!

1 Comments (Post A Comment)

JULY 25, 2012

Wandering...

by Shae

Wearing: Free People Purple Shorts as seen here, Free People Crochet Tank, Free People Denim Bandeau, Urban Outfitters Sandals (old), Jewel My Heart Stone Bracelet  c/o, Jewel My Heart Turquoise Bracelet c/o, Anthropologie Headband

If you haven’t noticed already, I am a sucker for Free People. I love their boho glam style, and quite frankly, their clothes fit me well. This FP crocheted tank has been worn to almost every concert I’ve been to this summer. With a simple swap of a bandeau bra and colored shorts, this has easily been my coolest (both temperature and fashion-wise) tank in my closet. I figured pairing it with a coral stone and a bright turquoise bracelet (named the “Shae bracelet” BTW) was the way to go with jewels, as the headband spoke for itself on top. It was the perfect outfit for a wandering flower child in the dry fields…cuz that’s just something normal that I do… 

5 Comments (Post A Comment)

JULY 23, 2012

A Different View

by Shae

Wearing: Forever 21 Maxi Dress (borrowed from my sister), Neon Aldo Sandals, Button Me Up Mosiac Ring c/o as seen here (for 20% off on this ring and the entire Button Me Up site use code: VF2012 at check out), Marc Jacobs Sunglasses similar to these

While in Wisconsin with my family last weekend, my mom and I took a drive to see some of the houses and land overlooking the lake. We had some time to kill before our family BBQ and thought we’d check out the newer developments.  Although most of the grass is fried from the very little rain, it was still a beautiful view and allowed us to see a different side of the lake that we’ve been going to forever, a spot we’ll probably visit from now on. 

4 Comments (Post A Comment)

JULY 18, 2012

Apartment Therapy

by Shae

Bright flowers in a hand-made, mason jar vase (which I picked up here) rests in the kitchen 

Soy Latte Candle, Coasters, and Mags on our new West Elm coffee table 

I recently moved into a new apartment with my girlfriends, and while we are still in the midst of buying things and organizing, here’s a couple pieces that make me happy every time I walk by. I will be sure to post more pictures once our rooms have the finishing touches on them, but in the meantime, this will give you a glimpse of our new pad, which, by the way, we love.  

Vintage chalk board and hand picked flowers when you walk in

Kitchen accessories (pear measuring cup bought here)

Bathrom accessory report: vintage hooks (also from here), burlap tie, warm towels and the antlers from my old room

7 Comments (Post A Comment)