Subscribe

Receive emails when new articles are posted to Vanilla Fringe.

enter email address
Chicago Blogger Network
JANUARY 30, 2012

Polka Dot

by Shae

Wearing: TOPSHOP Polka Dot Corset, TOPSHOP Sweater Cardigan, Dolce Vita Boots as seen here, J Brand Skinny Jeans as seen here, Betsy Johnson Ring, BCBG Starfish Ring, Vintage Chain Bracelet, Gold Rhinestone Earrings, Forever 21 Scarf. 

This sweater cardigan has only been in my closet for a week and it doesn’t owe me a dime (I sound like my mother). I bought this polka dot corset to wear underneath it when I went to dinner last weekend, and I wore it to work with this striped scarf and dressy socks. In between these occasions, I threw it over a white tee shirt to keep warm around the house. It’s cozy, comfortable, and bright (something you don’t normally find in winter clothing). And I’m considering bringing it along on my trip to Turks and Caicos, which I leave for on Thursday. Packing posts to come…sunshine cannot come soon enough. 

4 Comments (Post A Comment)

JANUARY 27, 2012

Red Engine

by Shae

Wearing:  Bailey 44 Rugby Striped Shirt sold out but similar to this one, White Long Sleeve Tee, Black Fur Vest (similar to link) as seen here, Dolce Vita Boots, Black High Knit Socks, Red Studded Bag, Black Leggings, Randon Grey Infinity Scarf, Old Silver Locket, Old Black Pendant, Nars Lip Gloss in Orgasm

This red, studded bag has been my towing staple for years now. It can carry a weekend’s worth of clothes and necessities, or shoe options, my computer, lunch, and make-up bag for work. I dragged it with me last weekend when I was running around with my mom to hold a change of shoes, odds and ends that didn’t fit in my purse, and a couple returns I didn’t have the bags for anymore. We stopped at the Chicago Fire Station during our walk to Michigan Ave to admire a little piece of history. 

3 Comments (Post A Comment)

JANUARY 26, 2012

Beet and Goat Cheese Salad

by Shae

I have been on a beets kick lately. Not only are color and flavor amazing, but the health benefits make you think you're in mid-week of a master cleanse - without the no eating part (that might be a big of an exaggeration, but you catch my drift). So after buying wayyy too many last week, I came up with this easy salad and made it for my roommates. I received rave reviews and figured I’d share this no-brainer recipe for the not-so-kitchen-savvy readers out there. Let me tell ya, if you are ever in need of a last-minute dinner addition, you won’t be disappointed!

Salad Ingredients:

1 Bag of fresh Arugula or fill a large bowl

Crumbled Goat Cheese (I love goat cheese so I use several handfuls, but use as much as you'd like).

4-5 medium beets (FYI: I use the already pealed and ready-to-use ones from Trader Joes)

1 to 1.5 avocado

½ Cup of Nuts – I didn’t use these but they would be delicious. I would suggest adding candied walnuts or toasted sliced almonds. 

Honey-Balsamic Dressing Ingredients:

-Tablespoon of honey

-3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

-2 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar

-Pinch of salt and pepper 

Cut up beets and avocado, and add to a bowl with goat cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper. Put arugula into a large bowl, wisk together dressing, and toss using as much or as little dressing as desired. Top with beets, avocado, cheese mixture, and add nuts if desired. Add a little more dressing, toss slightly, and serve. Disclaimer: I wouldn’t go overboard on the dressing because the taste of the arugula, beets, and cheese is quite strong.  Healthy, delicious, and super simple! Enjoy! 

3 Comments (Post A Comment)

JANUARY 25, 2012

Seeing Stars

by Shae

Wearing:  Joes Skinny Jeans, Dolce Vita Boots as seen here, Forever 21 Star Blouse, Miilla Leather Vest very similar to this, CC Skye Malibu Bracelet as seen here (and here, here and here in a different color). 

Polka dots and small stars are all the rage these days as far as patterns go. And while this top looks like the next addition to the 101 Dalmatians cast from afar (I always loved Pongo), it is actually small, black stars on a white, sheer blouse, and if I don’t say so myself, pretty fabulous (especially for the price). I knotted the front and threw a leather vest over for added layers but will be happy to rock this with a fitted body con dress and platform booties this spring - sans the pants and plus some shimmery legs. 

4 Comments (Post A Comment)