Subscribe

Receive emails when new articles are posted to Vanilla Fringe.

enter email address
Chicago Blogger Network
DECEMBER 30, 2011

The Best of 2011

by Shae

Although I am excited for 2012 to come, (mostly to say twenty-twelve as opposed to two thousand and eleven, ugh such a mouth full) 2011 was quite a year for me. And probably the most notable of all my accomplishments (not that the list is scrolling, but you catch my drift) was finally starting this blog! Below are some of my favorite pictures and memories from year one of Vanilla Fringe, and I want to thank all of you for your support, comments, and, of course, for reading VF! Xoxo 

Some highlights include:  the backward braided bun, my summer trip to Green Lake, these shoes my bf bought for me, school girl shoot, homemade bloody marys, cheetah and Charlie Sheen, super easy pasta salad, walking my dogs, and this fitted striped skirt I wore to work. Happy New Year Everyone! 

9 Comments (Post A Comment)

DECEMBER 29, 2011

The Infamous Cheese Ball

by Shae

This cheese ball has been a staple at our family parties for years thanks to my Aunt Dewi, and she recently shared the recipe with me. After reading the insanely easy instructions and short list of ingredients, I decided to whip it up for my friends at our holiday party this year. The response was exactly as I thought…we demolished the cheese ball and I had several of my gfs begging asking for the recipe. So, here it is…

Ingredients:

• 2 8oz packages of cream cheese
  • 3-4 onions (scallions) chopped into little pieces (green part only)
  • ½ cup of light mayo
  • 1 package of shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 jar raspberry jam or preserves 

Mix cream cheese, green onions, and mayo together with a mixer on low until combined. Form into a ball with your hands (this can get a bit messy) and roll the ball in the shredded cheese until it is completely covered. Place the ball on a serving plate or in a bowl and spoon the raspberry jam on the top of ball. Add crackers and serve. 

Note: You may have to replenish the raspberry jam on top as people chow. ENJOY! 

5 Comments (Post A Comment)

DECEMBER 29, 2011

Sequins on Top

by Shae

Wearing: Zara Sequin Tee, Joes Jeans, BCBG Boots, Old Bebe Jacket, David Yurman Bracelet, Jagger Edge iPhone case, Butter Black Knight Nail Polish, BCBG Feather Key Chain 

With the holidays and New Year's Eve approaching, I thought, why not rock a sequin tee all day? It’s festive, loud, and looks dressy but not in the “trying too hard” kind of way. I paired the tee with my new black flares by Joes, a serious must have for all working girls…slightly stretchy, and like nice dress pants, toned down a bit. And since it was super chilly out, I draped my vintage (I call it “closet vintage”, but it’s really just an old Bebe jacket) dress coat over my shoulders and grabbed lunch with my family, sparkling all the way. 

5 Comments (Post A Comment)

DECEMBER 28, 2011

Holiday Highlights

by Shae

Here’s a recap of some of my favorite things that occurred over the holiday this past weekend. Some creative, some entertaining…enjoy. 

Christmas shopping with my boyfriend in the city & a DIY center piece my bestie thought of for our annual holiday party.

My sister's Chicago tee & a gift from my cousin wrapped with a red fringe box, green tulle, and large label. 

Papa & custom holiday cheer cups and straws ordered off etsy.com by my crafty auntie. 

A candy and ice cream tree for the dessert table & the hilarious wine stopper my little sister gave me as a gift. 

My mom’s mantel filled with vintage santas, an ornament wreath, and holiday odds and ends. 

3 Comments (Post A Comment)