Subscribe

Receive emails when new articles are posted to Vanilla Fringe.

enter email address
Chicago Blogger Network
NOVEMBER 22, 2011

Weekend Uniform

by Shae

Wearing:  Free People Sweater, Zara Skinny Jeans as seen here, here, here and here, Diba Combat Boots, Pony Hair Purse from Rome, Tank, Leaf headband as seen here

A serious case of the lazies comes over me during the weekend, and I literally live in these combat boots and chunky sweaters. This past weekend was no different, and with Thanksgiving coming up, I’m sure I’ll spend four days as opposed to just two in the same attire. I actually think the Starbuck’s barista (isn’t that the proper term?) is going to start to think this is my weekend uniform. Oh, well, it is low maintenance and cozy…just what we want during these chilly months, right?   

5 Comments (Post A Comment)

NOVEMBER 21, 2011

Mom's Turkey and Beer Chili

by Shae

Ingredients:

• 3 celery stalks
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
  • 1 small can of corn
  • 1 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes
  • 2  15 oz cans of tomato sauce
  • 1 small 6oz can of tomato paste
  • 1 cup of water
  • 3 tablespoons of chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon of cumin
  • 2 teaspoons of ground mustard
  • 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons of ground (cayenne) red pepper (this is to taste…like it hot? Add more)
  • 2 lbs of ground turkey (2 packages)
  • 1 package of any kind of sausage (apple chicken, sweet Italian, whatever you like…4 links)
  • half of a can of any beer (lite or other)
  • shredded mild cheddar cheese
  • lite sour cream
  • elbow macaroni

Have a busy day?

Chop all veggies the night before, cook sausage and refrigerate. Morning of, saute veggies in a little olive oil until soft. Add garlic. Add turkey meat and brown. Then, in the crock pot, using “all day” or “8-hour” setting, pour in all canned tomato goods (cut whole tomatoes in quarters so they are not whole). Drain off some fat from the veggie/meat mixture, then add to crock pot along with sausage. Add spices, beer, corn, garbanzo beans, and cook for approximately 8 hours. When you come home, make noodles according to package directions and serve with cheese and sour cream. 

Need Chili to be ready quick?

Do everything above the evening of and put everything in a large pot. Cook for an hour on medium low heat (stirring often). 

Add a scoop of sour cream and top wtih cheddar cheese. Serve with dinner rolls...I like Hawaiian sweet rolls. ENJOY!

8 Comments (Post A Comment)

NOVEMBER 15, 2011

Grade School Skirt

by Shae

Wearing: Old GUESS Corduroy Skirt, Dolce Vita Booties, Zara Print Blouse, American Apparel Opaque Midnight Tights, House of Harlow Bracelet and Ring as seen here, Forever 21 Earrings. 

Similar to this skirt, I’ve had this corduroy mini in my closet for years. My friends joke that it is my “8th grade skirt,” but I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. Not only does it still fit, but the neutral color and basic style is easy to pair with solids or prints, and I love it with a little bootie or a tall boot. 

3 Comments (Post A Comment)

NOVEMBER 14, 2011

Neon Lights

by Shae

Wearing: Fluxus Slip Dress, BCBG Sheer Maxi, Kill City Leather Jacket as seen here (similar to link), Jeffrey Campbell Rockin Black Heels, Initial Necklace as seen here and here, Leo Necklace (as seen a million times). 

Don’t you feel like the weeks should be weekends and weekends should be work weeks? Oh, in a perfect world! I apologize for the blogger disappearing act last week…blogging and working just sometimes don’t mix into my schedule properly, and now that it becomes dark at 4 PM, it is nearly impossible to shoot some solid pictures in the pitch black. Anyways, now to my weekend. I caught up with Kelly from Just a Taste (who I hadn’t seen in ages), went for another delicious dinner at The Purple Pig, attended a wedding, and finally, took some blog pictures. I bought this neon, sheer maxi from BCBG over the weekend and was so excited to wear it to dinner with this leather jacket and new shoes. I know the dress will be equally as cute with a nude slip and chunky knit sweater…yep, sheer, neon maxis just went seanson-less in my book.

8 Comments (Post A Comment)