Subscribe

Receive emails when new articles are posted to Vanilla Fringe.

enter email address
Chicago Blogger Network
MAY 31, 2011

Empire State of Mind

by Shae

new york1

The Empire State Building and our American Flag. Happy Memorial Day!  

I made a super last minute decision to head to NYC for Memorial Day weekend and besides the few meetings I had, it was a usual eat, shop, and socialize kind of weekend. When I arrived on Friday, the weather was beautiful and I met my girlfriends for lunch, shopping, and sight seeing.  Here a few more photos from the weekend…

bryantpark1

bryantpark2

bryantpark3

“Spicy” Watermelon and Mango Bites, Chicken Salad Sandwich, Fish Tacos and a Classic BLT at Bryant Park.

library

I love the New York Public Library. The architecture is gorgeous and it is always packed with people.

times square

Yes, it is crowded, but ya gotta hit it...Times Square.

dinner

The adorable Great Jones Café. Amazing food, refreshing drinks, and a local crowd. 

pool

Getting ready to hit the pool. Wearing:  J Brand Cut-Offs, Nika Cut-Out Top, Vix Bathing Suit and Ray Bans as seen here, here and here.  

1 Comments (Post A Comment)

MAY 27, 2011

Slurpee Obsession

by Shae

Wearing: Free People Floral Skirt, White Blazer similar to this, Aqua Black Tank, Envy Boots , Bright Belt simiar to this, David Yurman Necklace, Gold Sparkly Ring.  

I have a weird obsession with blue slurpees. My friends and I used to get them all the time in high school, and I tend to buy my sweet, fluffy, icy drink 99% of the time at movie theatres (or is that a slushie? Same thing in my opinion).  The other day, the sun was out and the weather was warm, and I was wanting a lunch-time blue slurpee. I actually feel like it compliments my floral skirt, blue belt and white blazer quite nicely…

seveneleven  

6 Comments (Post A Comment)

MAY 26, 2011

Fresh Fringe Philadelphia - Pat's

by Shae

pats1

I visited Philly for my first time about two weeks ago, and while I was there, I made it a point to hit a few famous Philly Cheese Steak spots because, well, they are amazingly good. And what’s a better excuse to chow down cheese steaks than being in Philly…when in Rome, right? So my boyfriend and I decided to hit two of the most touristy spots:  Genos (as seen here) and Pat’s. They were both amazing, so it was hard to pick a fav, but I did like Pat’s fries better. Now, what I really learned while I was there is that Philly is hardcore about ordering cheese steaks. Seriously, you must be prepared, and you must say it quick. Of course, my boyfriend and I were so worried about what we were going to say (cheese steak, provolone, onions) that we went in the beverage and fries line instead…can you say out-of-towners?  Needless to say, they served us our food and it was delicious. Be sure to hit Pat’s next time you visit Philadelphia.

steak

1 Comments (Post A Comment)

MAY 24, 2011

Super Easy Pasta Salad

by Shae

food1

I love a dish that is simple, quick and can last ya all week. This super easy  (and healthy) pasta salad does just that, and in my mind, covers all your basics: protein, veggies, dairy and healthy whole grains. It’s a one-dish meal and it is just as tasty the next day.

Ingredients: (these can change per your liking)

• Whole Wheat Pasta
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Your Favorite Balsamic Vinaigrette (I like Newman’s Own Light Balsamic)
  • Salt/Pepper/Crushed Red Pepper/Garlic Powder
  • Spinach
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Hard Salami
  • Pepperonchinis (stems and seeds removed)
  • Artichoke Hearts (not marinated)
  • Roasted Peppers
  • Mozzarella Cheese
  • Chickpeas (which I forgot to buy at the store but are delicious in this recipe) 
food2
food3
Directions: 
1.Cook whole wheat pasta according to directions and steam a bag of spinach. While pasta is cooking and spinach is steaming, start chopping your veggies and cut up salami (you can add or take out anything you don’t like. I think edamame would be great in this too).  
2.Once pasta is cooked, drain and pour into a bowl with about two to three Tablespoons of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), teaspoon of salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder. Toss whole wheat pasta and put into fridge to cool.

3. Continue to assemble veggies…drain chickpeas and artichoke hearts.

4. Toss all veggies, salami and pasta together, and pour about 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar over the top and continue to toss. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes. EAT AND ENJOY!

food

food

food

done

done

6 Comments (Post A Comment)