Subscribe

Receive emails when new articles are posted to Vanilla Fringe.

enter email address
Chicago Blogger Network
APRIL 29, 2011

Rain and Red Lips

by Shae

rain1

rain2

Wearing: Burberry Rain Boots, Fluxus Swing Coat, Juice Couture Bracelets as seen here, Black Scarf, Shredded Stud Leggings, Thick Frame Glasses as seen here, Red Cooling Lip gloss as seen here 

The weather in Chicago has been wet and rainy for days weeks. And seeing as water doesn’t exactly agree with my suede sandals or hair, I’ve lived in rain boots and a ballerina bun. So, since my shoes and hairdo need to remain static, I needed a quick fix to accessorize a rainy day. Cue red lips, thick-frame glasses and swing coat.  And while I love my rainy day pieces, I do hope I can soon ditch the umbrella, hang up the coat, and swap the rain boots for a pair of peep toes. Because frankly, I’m over the rain.

rain3  

rain4

rain5

rain6

3 Comments (Post A Comment)

APRIL 28, 2011

Dad's Bacon Wrapped Scallops

by Shae

FF1

ff2

Need an easy but impressive app for a dinner party? This one never fails. It’s a finger food that is easy to enjoy and full of flavor. After loving these BW (Bacon Wrapped) Scallops at a family BBQ last summer, my dad taught he how to make these and I was shocked at how easy it was! Prooobbbaaabbblllyy not the healthiest appetizer you can find, but hey, it’s small portions and protein, right?

Ingredients For Bacon Wrapped Scallops:

1. Fresh Scallops (about 10-12)
  2. Fresh Lemon (1)
  3. Package of Bacon (1)
  4. Garlic Powder
  5. Garlic Pepper
  6. Pepper
  7. Toothpicks and Aluminum Tray

Ingredients for Horseradish Sauce:

1. Horseradish
  2. Cocktail Sauce
  3. Lemon
Directions:
  1. Turn on grill and let it warm up to a medium to medium-high heat setting. 
  2. Wrap bacon around scallops, spear with toothpick, and place in an alluminum tray.
  3. Squeeze the lemon juice from one fresh lemon over the top and around the wrapped scallops, sprinkle with garlic powder and coarse black pepper. 
  4. Place tray on grill and let cook for about 40 minutes or until browned and crispy. Be sure to turn or rotate the scallops after 10 to 12 minutes and put on high heat for the last 3 to 4 minutes to really the crisp the outside of the bacon. 
  5. While the scallops are cooking, mix horseradish, a couple dollops of cocktail sauce and the juice from half a lemon into bowl. (Tip: if you are not a horseradish fan, flip the cocktail sauce to horseradish ratio). Leave dipping sauce cold or heat in microwave for about 40 seconds. 
  6. Remove scallops from heat and sprinkle a small amount of garlic pepper over the top before serving. You may remove the toothpicks or leave them in for easy gripping. 
ENJOY!
ff3
ff4
ff5
ff6

3 Comments (Post A Comment)

APRIL 27, 2011

Street Walker

by Shae

dogs1

dogs2

Wearing: Divine Rights of Denim Lust Skinny Jeans, Bailey 44 Split Sleeve Top, Madonna and Child Necklace and Pendant, Vintage Gold Chains as seen here and here, Zigi NY Stunning Nude Pumps, Golden Retrievers 

I love my dogs. They are big, friendly, and the most lovable two animals you will ever meet. That is; until I want to take them for a quick walk in a pair of heels. Then, they like to run, pull, and disregard any command I give them. My mother, who found this whole scene quite entertaining, didn’t help my cause by calling their names every few minutes. But needless to say, I thought they complimented my soft pink, cold shoulder Bailey top, chunky short necklaces, and Divine Rights of Denim shredded jeans. And although I love my nude pumps, I could have done without them on this particular walk.

dogs3  

dogs4

dogs5

dogs6

dogs7

10 Comments (Post A Comment)

APRIL 26, 2011

DIY Creative Spring Planter

by Shae

Approximate Cost: $15.00

Approximate Time: 30 minutes 

rainboots1

Things you will need:

1. Organic Soil
  2. Gardening Trowel
  3. Festive Plant Holder (be sure there is a drainage hole in the bottom of the planter) 
  4. Any flower proportionate to the planter (in my case, pansies)
  5. English Ivy
  6. Natural Moss
  7. Spanish Moss
  8. Small Birds' Nest
  9. Florist Wire and Sticks (connected)
  10.  Ribbon (tip: ribbon with wire in it will hold the shape of the bow better)
  11. Decorative Butterfly (you can also use a bee, dragonfly, ladybug...all would be just as cute)
  12. Glue Gun
  13. Scissors 
step1
Step 1: Fill planter half full with soil.
step2
Step 2: Arrange flowers and ivy. (tip: when taking flowers out of their container, squeeze the soil. The soil tends to harden.
step3
Step 3:  Fill open air space with leftover soil. Be sure there are no open holes. Water soil and flowers well, and rinse off excess dirt. 
step5
Step 4: Tuck Spanish moss into the corners to cover the soil (you won't use a lot of this). 
step5
birdsnest
Step 5: Glue a small amount of the natural moss to the bottom of the birds' nest to add natural detail.  
step6
Step 6: Insert wire into the bottom of the birds' nest and push stick through slightly.
birdsnest2
Step 7: Trim the wooden stick, then push the stick and birds' nest (together) into the soil.
butterfly
Step 8: Insert a new wire into the decorative butterfly (or any insect). You may want to glue this as well. Push stick into soil. The wire will create the effect of the butterfly flying. 
ribbon1
 Step 9: Make a bow with the ribbon by looping one side to the other, not tying. 
ribbon2
Step 10: Wrap the wire around the center of the bow. Insert bow, wire, and stick into the soil. 
finish1
The perfect Mother's Day Planter! Give lots of sunlight, water and love!
finish
I bought these ceramic rain boots at HomeGoods but a pair of vintage children's rain boots would be just as adorable.  

2 Comments (Post A Comment)