Like most women, I love shoes. Whether they are sexy or comfortable (rarely at the same time), expensive or cheap, they can make or break an outfit (and a mood) in an instant. As the saying goes, “You can never have enough friends, money or shoes…” (the list might be longer, I don’t recall the full quote) and I fully believe that. My girlfriend and her fabulous mother opened up a shoe haven called “Stilettos” in the northern (Chicago) burbs three years ago. They are celebrating their 3rd year anniversary this weekend and are offering up major discounts, giveaways, and, of course, some drinks and treats (details below). This also applies to their online store (which hasn’t been around three years, but for those who can’t make the trip, we get to pretend), so enjoy an online coupon code - also below. The pictures in this post all feature shoes purchased at Stilettos, so thank you to Alexandra and Christine for making my love of shoes an easy addiction to treat. Happy shopping, sole sistas.
Over the last few weeks I’ve bought and received and stolen from my roommates some of my favorite new accessories and bathroom must-haves. Sometimes it’s easier to navigate through a Walgreens or Sephora (or an accessory department) if you have a recommendation, so I am here to help! Here are some pick-me-ups I am currently using and loving. And after spending a weekend with my little cousins eating cheese pizza, chocolate chip cookies, pancakes, and French fries, I will need these beauty secrets to bounce back.
My Passport – Heading to Europe this summer (Paris and then Italy). Any and all suggestions are welcome. Initial Decals - For your nails, key chains, phone chargers…clearly I am not sure what I am using mine for. Glitter Hummingbird Key Chain (bought in L.A.) – My grandma passed away a couple years ago and she loved hummingbirds. I bought this because it reminded me of her; she would have loved the whimsical feel to it. Tassel (fringe) Key Chain – This was a Christmas gift, but here is a very similar one. Floral iPhone Case – I love iPhone cases. They allow you to update something you see every day without having to match anything. Henri Bendel iPhone Case – I also have an umbrella that matches (which I love) but that’s for another post.
Francesca’s Vintage Orange Blossom Candle – It’s hard to find a reasonably priced candle that doesn’t smell too sweet and nauseating and still smells up the room. This one wins in all categories.
Matrix Mega Dust – This stuff seriously transforms your hair from flat to fab. Tap a little bit underneath a chunk of hair and then tease. Visine – Working in TV, this stuff has made my eyes look bright on even my most tired of days. Keep it handy for mornings after a late night, a sob fest, or just a sleepy Monday. Gillette Venus & Olay Razors – These razors have saved me countless minutes. Between not having to lather my legs prior to shaving and not having to nurse a bloody cut in the same spot every week, these babies really pay off. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Cream– A makeup artist told me a couple years ago this was the best option for semi-sensitive skin that needed hydration...with my dryness level, I knew I had to have it. I use it morning and night, it’s not greasy, and it smells oh so fresh. MAC Studio Moisture Fix + SPF (as seen here)– I first brought this on my trip (here) and loved it. The smell still reminds me of the beach, and again, it’s not heavy and has the perfect coverage. Honey Bronze Powder – The powder version of this. I love this stuff, and you can travel with this kind since it's a powder. Put it over your lotion for shiny, tan legs. Loccitane Hand Cream – The best for cold, dry winters.
Chanel Nail Polish Jar – I’ve started a collection.
Stud and Skull Clutch - My mom snagged this for me when she was in China this year. I love it, although it doubles as a weapon.
Sephora Daily Makeup Brush Cleaner – Takes half the time, and you can clean those brushes more often. My Favorite Eye Makeup Remover. Dermalogica Face Wash – Only once a day (as seen here). And my Pink Clarisonic – This has done wonders for my dry skin.
1. Most moms don’t wander the streets in sky-high stilettos, so here’s an alternative that they can rock year round. Added bonus: This rich brown can really swing with darks and neutrals easily. Easy to wear with skinny or boot cut jeans; or if she’s down, leggings. Lucky Brand Ellena Boots, $99.00.
2. Bracelets to Stack – these are a great stocking stuffer or small gift for a friend. Buy ‘em in bulk, in different colors, and/or wear ‘em with whatever else you have in your jewelry cabinet. See Song Designs Bracelet, $27.
3. Grown men are the hardest to shop for in my opinion. The grown men in my family will just simply go purchase what they need when they need it. But here’s something 9 out of 10 men will not purchase for themselves: Good skincare. They may not know what you’re getting them when they open it, but one use and they’ll be singing your praises. Kiehl’s Man Refueling Set, $58.
4. I went shopping with one of my roomies from college last week, and we both feasted our eyes on this and wanted it for ourselves (note thing above again). But she snagged it as a gift, and we both swore our significant others would most definitely have it on their lists for us. Madewell Faux-Fur Circle Scarf (Hearing this is sold out online, so check or call your nearest Madewell store), $59.50.
5. How cute is this? Period. West Elm Owl Cookie Jar, $39.00.
6. I had one of these in my room last year (as seen here), and it was a conversation starter time and time again. Have a wine enthusiast on the list of presents to buy? Or just need something clever as a housewarming gift? You really can’t go wrong with these candles that are recycled from old wine bottles and have the yummiest of scents to choose from. Rewined Candles, $28
7. These have been hot, are hot, and will remain hot. Why not get the newest Rose Gold edition? It can fancy up the simplest of outfits. Michael Kors Rose Gold Watch, $250.
8. Can’t go wrong with a fresh set of speaks (maybe that word shouldn’t be abbreviated; speakers). Hook your fam up this holiday season with a little sound. iPod Dock, $79.99.
9. These are really a great gift. You can pick the size and length, and I must say, since my mom bought me mine (as seen here, here and here) I’ve worn it to death. It’s a piece you can keep forever. Monogram Initial Necklace, $105.
10. Your little (or older) brother who really can’t put down the phone, iPod, iPad, and whatever gadget plays music or tv shows, get him these. At least he'll be able to hear it all a little clearer. Beats by Dre Headphones, $150.
11. On top of the gift cards or cash your sibling in college wants, this “wake me at noon” sleep mask is perfect, and, really, right on point. God, how I miss those days…. Target Sleep Mask, $4.99.
12. Hailmary Skull Bracelets – For your fashionista friend who has everything, these are cool, edgy, and one-of-a-kind. Plus, you can wear ‘em with just about anything (as seen here, here, and here). Leather and Beaded Skull Bracelets, $60.
13. I spotted these while I was paroozing the department stores over a month ago and went to grab it for myself and then did that thing I said I was going to do up above; I put it back and thought to myself, What a great gift idea these would be (secretly hoping they would show up under my tree). They are extremely inexpensive for something with a DVF label, and really, any cool gal would love these. DVF Headphones, $25.00.
14. (Not Pictured) Clothing items I wear frequently that I know you (or your best lady friend) would love: Black Fur Vest, Free People Tee, Fringe Scarf, Military Jacket with Faux Leather Sleeves, Rag & Bone Jeans, Cool Leather Jacket.
It is now officially what I call the “slump months.” The holidays are over, the sugar high from Valentine’s Day has passed, and I’m back in the swing of things after my amazing vacation to the Turks and Caicos. Enter Refinery 29. See, I’ve always been a fan of R29; their fashion articles, city knowledge, witty writing style, and now…da da da da da… DEALS! What better way to clear up the winter blues than to purchase a few closet staples? Below is a list of favorite pieces from a super chic website called Shop Twigs. You can purchase a Reserve Deal from R29 here and get an extra $50, $75 or $100 to ShopTwigs to buy these closet necessities in time for spring. I’ll be posting pics of my purchases, feel free to tag me on Facebook and Twitter with yours! Happy Shopping!
- Orange Envelope Clutch by Tory Burch – the perfect pop to any ensemble.
- Boyfriend Jeans have remained a weekend go-to for several seasons now, and they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. These with a simple white tee and a chic heel are perfection.
- I’ve recently been obsessing over tortoise shell (like these Ralph Lauren sunglasses) and this Cuff is another piece I must add to my accessory collection. It’s timeless.
- Chains are the easiest things to layer with, and they usually work well with any occasion.
- Every girl needs a classic trench. One that is timeless and can be worn with everything from a tailored suit to classic rain boots. It’s a good investment, period.
- As I mentioned above, I am a big fan of chains and links, and this multi-colored necklace is neutral, simple, and uptown chic. I love it.
- A nice candle will make any room feel homey and smell lovely. It’s a simple, yet functional décor piece that can transform a room.
- I really just love this infinity scarf. The burlap looking neutral color against the muted orange is perfect on top of a white tee shirt or a floral dress.